Fit For A New Career

Julie Mathis ’94

Photo: Sanjay Suchak

Julie Mathis’s inner athlete was struggling to get out.

The former high school athlete took a full load of physical education courses at Messiah College in Grantham, Pa., back in the early 90s. But when it came time to think about a major, Mathis chose computer applications, for which she received an associate’s degree from Montgomery College in 1994.

She worked in the computer field until 1999, but left to start a new career: stay-at-home mom, giving birth to three children over three years.

Over the years, the weight started piling up. Three years ago, she hit rock bottom.

“I had ballooned up to 375 pounds and was severely depressed,” says Mathis.“But, I started walking. I walked all around Germantown doing errands. It was painful and I hated it, but I didn’t know what else to do. The pounds started melting away. It was very healing to me.”

As the weight disappeared, Mathis’s confidence grew. Regular walking turned into a desire to race. Racing turned into a desire for more racing.

“I was typically the largest person at the start line,” she says. “But I didn’t care if I came in dead last. My only concern was to complete the race and, hopefully, improve upon my last performance.”

5K races turned into 10Ks; ultimately Mathis completed a half-marathon in 2010.

Bolstered by a newfound confidence, she decided to pursue her original dream: a career in the fitness field.

“Three years ago, I never would have dreamed that I would be taking classes at Montgomery College and working towards a new career,” says Mathis. “Returning to college seemed like such a daunting endeavor.

Pursuing her dream of a career in the fitness field, Mathis passed the exam administered by the American Council on Exercise to become a certified personal trainer; she was hired in 2011 by the Rockville Jewish Community Center as a personal trainer in the fitness center.

Pursuing her dream of a career in the fitness field, Mathis passed the exam administered by the American Council on Exercise to become a certified personal trainer; she was hired in 2011 by the Rockville Jewish Community Center as a personal trainer in the fitness center. Photo by Sanjay Suchak.

“But all of those races and all of that training have shown me that goals are achievable when you put in the work. I would never have been able to complete a half-marathon if I hadn’t trained for it, but I set my sights on that goal and laid out a plan and executed that plan. I have the medal to prove it.”

Mathis says that returning to school was no different. “In pursuing a new career, the same principles apply,” Mathis says. “I am devising a plan and laying the groundwork to achieve my goals, both professionally and personally. I am taking steps to ensure that physical fitness and healthy life changes are integrated as a regular part of my daily life by making it my career.”

At MC, Mathis signed up for Strength Training and Conditioning to improve her physical strength and show her two boys that their mom was strong. She chose Nutrition for Fitness and Wellness to improve her diet and learn how to fuel her workouts for optimal performance. She took Principles and Practices of Health Fitness so that she could learn how to put it all together and devise exercise programs for herself and others.

Mathis gives a special call-out to Professor Jack Curling, who teaches strength training. “I appreciated his guidance and encouragement.

“College was a strange world to me,” she continues. “I was in classes with athletes. But I stopped caring what people thought of me.” She pulled grades of As in her classes, all the while juggling three children and part-time employment at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.

At the conclusion of her fitness courses, she passed the exam administered by the American Council on Exercise (ACE) to become a certified personal trainer.

With her ACE credentials in hand, Mathis was hired in 2011 by the Rockville Jewish Community Center as a personal trainer in the fitness center. Her supervisor was impressed by Mathis’s personal story and believed she could be an inspiration to members.

In addition to working one on one with her fitness clients, Mathis heads up “J” Walkers, an eight-week program she created to get people off the couch and complete a 5K race. She also works with a young woman who has autism and seizure disorder. “Two of my boys have special needs, so it is important for me to help her reclaim a part of herself, since I’m all about reclaiming lives,” she says.

“I’ve done this in front of my kids. I’m such a better mom. I’m able to teach them about an active lifestyle. And they’re my number one fans.”

—Tina Kramer

10 Tips For Maintaining A Healthy Lifestyle

Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle

For Julie Mathis, a healthy lifestyle is a journey, not a destination. Here, she shares a few tips that have been helpful to her along the way.

1. Make yourself a priority.
  2. Schedule workout appointments for yourself and make those appointments nonnegotiable.
  3. Know your daily calorie limits, plan your meals and snacks in advance to fit within those limits, and have your ingredients ready and on hand to avoid last-minute cheating or eating out.
  4. Keep your daily meal plan posted in the kitchen to stay on track.
  5. Eat clean. Consume foods that are closest to their natural form.
  6. Avoid processed foods. When buying from the store, choose foods with minimal ingredients that you can actually understand and pronounce.
  7. Get—and stay—moving! Exercise most days of the week at moderate intensity for 60 minutes (include cardiovascular exercise and weight lifting).
  8. Make exercise and healthy eating social by sharing those experiences with friends.
  9. Practice deep breathing when stressed or anxious.
  10. Schedule a rest day.

This article first appeared in the fall 2012 issue of Insights.

Post a Reply

Top