Intern Jana reacts to the Novel Writing Month….

What is NaNoWriMo? A Pokemon? A prescription anti-fungal? No, silly! It’s National Novel Writing Month ! It is the time to get off your procrastinating butt and write out that novel novel idea that has been bouncing around in your head for ages. And, by signing up at www.nanowrimo.org, you can track your progress and connect with others who are frantically writing their novels.

When I read the concept for NaNoWriMo’s campaign, I was impressed by the core idea: “forcing yourself to write so intensely . . . giving yourself permission to make mistakes . . . To build without tearing down.”

But I was also a little insulted by the sour grape-iness of thier ‘tude. Listed among the goals was “To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.” Come on now, NaNoWriMo, play nice.  You know you wish you were part of the “real novelist” club, too.

Even so, I think this kind of regimented, confrontational approach is just the catalyst some of us (me, for  instance) need to get over any inhibitions and hesitations and just write the darn thing. Put it all out there, aim to have at least a rough draft constructed by the end of the month. You may surprise yourself.