Today we finish our interns guest-blogging with Inna Stair. Our interns are integral to the PR running smoothly, and now they can impart some wisdom on us all. You can see our earlier intern posts here and here.

As the spring is coming to an end, so is the year of my internship for the Potomac Review. Needless to say, I am a bit sad to be saying goodbye, but at same time grateful for the time I’ve had with the journal and its wonderful staff.

As a beginner writer, I came to the Potomac Review looking for guidance, experience, and an inside look on a literary magazine. Along with a few other dedicated interns, I have seen a whole new issue of the journal come to life from the very first “maybe’s” to the very last graphic design touch ups. Through hours of needed data entry, I have learned how not to write a cover letter (include 3 pages of credentials) and what is the easiest way to annoy your editorial reader (put a copyright notice with your manuscript).

It wasn’t always fun… Okay, no, scratch that. It was always fun. From marketing the journal to local bookstores to stuffing rejects, we had a blast, a laugh or two, and, of course, the pizza! We got to be a vital part of the F. Scott Fitzgerald conference in fall and the less formal Conversations and Connections this spring. They were both busy and demanding, but we enjoyed every minute of them: from running the microphones to the audience to running the speed dating (what a blast that was!).

We’ve seen the journal come far this year with the new online submission manager, this blog, a Facebook group, and new editorial staff (that’s you, Will). We have shared many hours of the last minute rush when things didn’t go as planned and rejoiced in opening the hot off the press pages of the new issue. We made friends and met people that were both amazing and talented.

The Potomac Review internship has been a turning point in my life, for it has taught me that you can work and have a lot of fun doing it. Looking back at the year with the journal, I am happy to say that I am leaving with practical knowledge of the literary industry and a renewed passion for writing. I hope to remain in the editorial and literary world in the future and, maybe one day, come back to Potomac Review in a new capacity.