How To Make The Most Out Of Your Spring Break Staycation

Happy March Raptors! I don’t know if it’s just me, but it seems like the semester and new year have just zoomed by. Before we know it, we’ll be creeping up to final exams. However, something else is also coming up pretty soon- yup, you guessed it – spring break!

I’ve always been a fan of spring break. Not only does it allow students a little time to de-stress in the middle of the semester, it also allows me to catch up on things and focus on myself for at least one week. Although I will be heading out this time, I know what it’s like to feel utterly bored and unmotivated during the break. With friends gone, people busy, and no homework to do (never thought I’d say that in my life), life can get pretty dull. Here are some helpful tips to ramp up your spring break “staycation” and come into the second half of the semester refreshed and motivated.

Do a DIY project. Not only will this drive a sense of accomplishment, it is also fun and easy to do alone or with others! There are tons of websites online that provide easy instructions; all you have to do is look!

Catch up with family. This is great if you’re super busy during the week (like me). Take time to visit some old relatives, visit your parents, or have lunch with siblings.

Check out the local hotspots. The D.C. Metro area is far from boring, and what better way to take advantage of the city than to explore it!

Take a class. Has anything interested you over the year that you’ve been itching to try? Look around for some baking, pottery, dancing, etc. classes in the area!

Go to the gym. Make use of that New Year’s resolution and use the extra time to head to the gym, or even take a fitness class.

Read up on internships and jobs. It’s never too late, or early, to start looking for summer opportunities, whether it be paid or unpaid.

Volunteer. Take some time to give back this spring break and volunteer with an organization that you’re passionate about. Bring some friends if you can!

Clean out your closet. Spring cleaning isn’t a myth, and the break would be a great time to tidy up your closet and donate your old clothes and accessories.

There you have it, Raptors! Home doesn’t have to be boring, and spring break is always what you make of it. Stay warm, and happy spring!

Annika La Vina

My name is Annika La Vina (pronounced like Monica without the M). I am 20 years old, and I am currently a new student at MC. I love all kinds of sports and am super into fitness - catch me running on the side of Rockville Pike on a sunny day! In addition, I love reading and writing and have been an avid writer since elementary school. I dabble in all kinds of major writing forms - fictional, academic and now, blogging!
After high school, I traveled and worked around the world for two years. It was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time, but most of all, it was rewarding. Not only did I experience new cultures and meet tons of people, I also realized several things about myself - the most important being that I needed to go back to school.
It’s frightening - super frightening actually - to embark on a new stage in life. However, you’re not alone. Join me in my newest, weirdest, scariest, most exciting adventure yet - college!

This Post Has One Comment
  1. Nice tips. I recall those staycations when my kids were small….sometimes spring break and sometimes summers. Not every break warrants or deserves a trip, but in this area it seems to be the norm. I think it is good to plan a couple weeks ahead what you will do if staying home. Make plans to lunch with friends or a trip to DC with a friend AHEAD a week or two, for example. Otherwise, you can get caught off-guard and it’s too late – people are already gone or busy. IMO, planning and being organized is the key to absolutely everything in life! Enjoy your break!