Spice Up Your Second Semester School Routine

It’s the middle of February, and it’s cold and it’s rainy.  As I pull into the Montgomery College parking lot to hurriedly get to my 9:00 A.M. Accounting class, I realize I’ve forgotten my laptop. Great.

If you’re anything like me, routine is something that has both its ups and downs.  Yeah sure, it provides a sense of accountability and predictability, but on the other hand, it honestly gets downright boring. On top of it all, the weather isn’t exactly on our side since it seems like it has been cold forever.

How do we fix this? It’s simple – start by putting the little extra in extraordinary. Here are a few tips to get through your February funk around campus and at home.

• Brush up your skills by going to one of MC’s workshops. Our school is fortunate enough to offer amazing workshops on a variety of topics, ranging from essay writing to transfer planning. Check out our calendar for the latest news: on February 16th, there’s a Thesis Statement and Outlines Workshop and coming soon after on February 19th, there’s a Transfer/Scholarship Essay Workshop.
  • Spot the bulletin board. Fliers for student events, happenings, fairs, club organizations, etc. are all posted on various bulletin boards around campus. So, if you happen to find a bit of free time between classes, take a look at all the activities. Personally, I’ve found information on clubs (including MCVoices!) and have even gotten textbooks on sale for 75% off.
  • Attend a sports game. Did you know that MC offers nine intercollegiate sports?  Four are for men (baseball, basketball, soccer, and track and field) and five for women (basketball, soccer, softball, track and field, and volleyball). Not only are they usually free and low-cost, it’s a great way to support the school and students. Who knows? Maybe you’ll even try out!
  • See a counselor. I usually try to schedule a counselor meeting once every two weeks just to make sure I’m on track to transfer and that all my credits and classes are in check. If you haven’t taken a look at MC’s amazing counseling services, I highly suggest you give it a try!
  • Remember that less is more. Maybe you’re one of those people with a pretty hectic schedule. Taking some time off and giving yourself a break just might be the key to your second semester blues. Trying won’t hurt!

Someone once told me that the days go by slow but the weeks go by fast, but what do you do when the days and weeks both go by slow? Definitely take these tips into consideration the next time you feel a bit bummed out by your routine. Stay warm, Raptors! It’ll be summer before we know it!

Anika LaVina

My name is Annika La Vina (pronounced like Monica without the M). I am 20 years old, and I am currently a new student at MC. I love all kinds of sports and am super into fitness - catch me running on the side of Rockville Pike on a sunny day! In addition, I love reading and writing and have been an avid writer since elementary school. I dabble in all kinds of major writing forms - fictional, academic and now, blogging!
After high school, I traveled and worked around the world for two years. It was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time, but most of all, it was rewarding. Not only did I experience new cultures and meet tons of people, I also realized several things about myself - the most important being that I needed to go back to school.
It’s frightening - super frightening actually - to embark on a new stage in life. However, you’re not alone. Join me in my newest, weirdest, scariest, most exciting adventure yet - college!

This Post Has One Comment
  1. Great tips Annika and thanks for pointing out the transfer fairs and various workshops! I think everyone is feeling the routine doldrums of winter. If it’s not feasible to take a weekend break somewhere different, just try something different – call someone you haven’t spoken too in a long time or explore a new place or restaurant with a friend. A change of scenery or routine, even if for a couple hours does the soul good. Get enough exercise too. Happy Pre-Spring!