How To Meal Prep

Happy November, Montgomery College! This semester has seemed to just zip by, and before we know it, Thanksgiving will be here, and then final exams! I know everyone at school is somewhat busy- whether jobs, family, friends, etc. consume your schedule. I myself am working 2 jobs on top of being a full-time student at MC, (not to mention balancing a social life), so I can relate to how stressful and demanding any workload can be. How do I make it easier? It’s simple- I meal prep.

Meal prepping is the act of preparing your meals beforehand so they are ready to pick up during the week. If you’re new to meal prepping, or simply have no idea what it is, it can seem a bit annoying and taxing to organize. However, not only does this save you money and cut your cooking time in half, it also gives you healthier options to munch on during the week. Here are some helpful tips that have made my meal prepping successful and easy.

• Look for shortcuts. Buy pre-cut veggies and fruits, frozen peas and lentils, and even rotisserie and ready-to-eat chicken. This will save you even more time without breaking the bank too much.
  • Invest in the right containers. There’s nothing worse than opening up your backpack only to find all your food strewn everywhere. Investing in good, quality containers makes sure your food stays where it should be.
  • Utilize the weekend. Sundays are when I usually hunker down in the kitchen and meal prep my life away. It only takes me around an hour, and at the end of it, I have breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next few days.
  • Use dependable recipes with a twist. It may not be the best time to try a crazy new dish- what if you don’t like it and you’re stuck with seven more of the exact same meals? Instead, add a little spice to plain meals. I usually do chicken, rice, broccoli, and add cheese and hot sauce to make it even tastier.
  • Leave some wiggle room. What if one night, your friends want to go for some spontaneous pizza? It’s important not to make too many meals so they don’t go to waste.

All in all, meal prep is supposed to make your life easier- it’s not supposed to be stressful. I know the first time I tried it, I was overwhelmed by how much food I had to prepare, but as I got into it, it didn’t seem like much at all. Give it a try and let me know how it goes! Happy prepping, Raptors!

Annika La Vina

My name is Annika La Vina (pronounced like Monica without the M). I am 20 years old, and I am currently a new student at MC. I love all kinds of sports and am super into fitness - catch me running on the side of Rockville Pike on a sunny day! In addition, I love reading and writing and have been an avid writer since elementary school. I dabble in all kinds of major writing forms - fictional, academic and now, blogging!
After high school, I traveled and worked around the world for two years. It was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time, but most of all, it was rewarding. Not only did I experience new cultures and meet tons of people, I also realized several things about myself - the most important being that I needed to go back to school.
It’s frightening - super frightening actually - to embark on a new stage in life. However, you’re not alone. Join me in my newest, weirdest, scariest, most exciting adventure yet - college!

This Post Has 2 Comments
  1. I’ve been meal prepping for months now! I do it for my dad and I so girl the struggle is real. I follow recipes, but usually come up with my own delicious recipes so I definitely love these tips:)

2. Your photo looks so good! I like your advice because food prep is something most Americans don’t want to think about (and therefore break the bank eating out all the time, not to mention unhealthy). And yes, always good to prepare ahead. It may be a little more work initially, but when you look in your frig, you don’t have that sinking feeling “What am I going to make/eat?” ….especially when stressed or tired…..aren’t all students!