Beat The Blues This Winter With Style

Happy October everyone! Say goodbye to those warm, sun-filled summer days and say hello to the cold, breezy fall and winter months. Oh yes Raptors- we’re officially in the holiday season.

As someone who’s suffered from bursts of seasonal depression before, I know firsthand what it’s like to feel the effects of the sudden change in temperature. Not only would my overall mood fall, I would become less motivated to do things- I would stop working out as much, stop going out with friends, etc, in favor of lounging around in my bed, snuggled up in my blanket to combat the freezing weather outside. It seemed like an enormous jump from my happy-go-lucky self who frolicked on beaches and basked in waves over the summer.

However- no fear! Although the freezing cold may be a little restrictive, there are ways to remain cheerful, positive, and upbeat this fall and winter.

Set personal goals to accomplish by spring. Not only will this distract you from the frigid air, but this will also keep you productive, occupied, and prepared for next semester. Personal goals in the past for me have been to raise a certain amount of money by March, or set a new mile time by February.

Join an MC club. This will keep you wide awake and involved during your time at the campus, and can even lead to new friendships. There are a bunch of organizations to choose from, so take your pick!

Cozy up in your favorite study spot. Take some time this semester to really bump that GPA up and set the stage for the new year. If you’re looking for some study motivation, Kaila, one of our vloggers, has made an excellent video about different study spots on campus!

Bake or Cook. Warm up the whole house by whipping up one of your favorite meals or desserts. If you’re like me, food is always a solution to any problem, so hurry down to the kitchen and get the ingredients out!

Watch the sunrise. Studies have shown that morning light, which is categorized from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. is significantly more effective in curing winter depression than late afternoon or evening light. Set your alarm earlier and open the shades for a good dose of Vitamin D to brighten up the day.

I’ve never been a fall or winter fan- I’ve always loved to bask in the spring and summer sun. However, these tips have significantly helped me keep my spirits up during the cold months. Take some time this holiday season to focus on yourself, and get into a good mindset. Happy winter, Raptors- it’ll be 2019 before we know it!

Anika LaVina

My name is Annika La Vina (pronounced like Monica without the M). I am 20 years old, and I am currently a new student at MC. I love all kinds of sports and am super into fitness - catch me running on the side of Rockville Pike on a sunny day! In addition, I love reading and writing and have been an avid writer since elementary school. I dabble in all kinds of major writing forms - fictional, academic and now, blogging!
After high school, I traveled and worked around the world for two years. It was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time, but most of all, it was rewarding. Not only did I experience new cultures and meet tons of people, I also realized several things about myself - the most important being that I needed to go back to school.
It’s frightening - super frightening actually - to embark on a new stage in life. However, you’re not alone. Join me in my newest, weirdest, scariest, most exciting adventure yet - college!

This Post Has 2 Comments
  1. I love the winter but I can totally relate losing motivation when it comes to school, work, and personal health such as working out! This is such a really great blog! Super motivational!

2. Good post Annika. SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, is a documented phenomenon. I know people who need to sit by a special lamp in the morning for 30 minutes just to get in the right mind set and stay out of winter depression. It is a combo of the shorter days (less sunlight) and the drop in serotonin in our brain due to that. Sunlight just lifts people up. I think also people hibernate more in the winter, cutting down on socializing time. Trying to keep up your summer/fall activities (even if you walk laps in a mall) makes us less aware of the drastic changes winter brings.