Hey Raptors! We’re halfway through the week and I wanted to talk about health. Life can be extremely overwhelming with responsibilities, and we can sometimes neglect our personal wellbeing. School and education are important, but so is having a balance. Prioritize your health and life will flow more smoothly. Conversely, lack of sleep, stress, and neglecting relationships can make us fizzle and burnout.
Never enough sleep
Ideally, you should be getting 8 hours of sleep every night. We all know this. Some of us require more like 6, while others (like myself) need closer to 9 or 10 to function. Not possible? Enter: NAPS!
As a sleepy, sleepy young woman, I’ve perfected the act of the microsleeping. My favorite spots are:
-2nd floor of the Macklin tower on the Rockville campus (completely silent, get a cubby desk with walls surrounding you – super cozy)
-Rockville Memorial Library (very comfy chairs, just bunch up your jacket on a table in the corner)
– Your car! Don’t leave your battery on if you’ll be sleeping for more than an hour or so. I wouldn’t advise napping on the bus, but sometimes it happens. Try hooking your backpack strap around your leg if you’re worried, and set an alarm on your phone so you don’t miss your stop.
-Not in class! Do not nap in class! No napping in class!! Your professor and classmates will not be impressed. If you find yourself nodding off, grab a sip of water or chew some mint gum. Take some extra time before class to grab a cup of coffee; most professors are relaxed about drinks in class.
Physical activity: Release endorphins
-Leave early and park far away if you drive a car. You get some added exercise and you can avoid the chaotic mess of closer parking (Seriously. There’s always a space in Lot 2. Cut your losses, you’ll thank me.)
– Planet Fitness is open 24/7 and is super cheap! They may not be the most glamourous gym out there, but that’s more endearing. I highly recommend.
– MC has gyms and swimming pools available to students (you just need to flash you student ID) during certain times and days.
-Take the scenic route to class:
Maintain healthy relationships!
- There are tons of great spots to meet up with friends on campus. Besides the plethora of outside tables, the new science building has a ton of couches and places to meet up.
- Rockville Town Square is a great meetup place, accessible from MC via the 45, 46, and 55 RideOn buses. It’s about 10 minutes via car and a 30 minute walk.
- Try a potluck lunch! Assign one person in your friend group/study group one food item to prepare for all of you and share. A neat way to show off your baking skills and cheaper than buying lunch. It’s a chance to indulge in each other’s favorites!
This is just the tip of the iceberg, but hopefully you read something you didn’t think of before. Take care of yourselves, Raptors! Get some rest and stay healthy! It’s important! Catch you later ?