What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you read the title? Middle of the semester? Midterms are finally over? Or probably Big Time Rush song? Well, the semester is almost complete *happy dance*. Below are some pointers on how we can finish strong.
- Refocus. Take the time to create a plan and “get your life together” before the madness of finals begins.
- Find the perfect study place. If you’re anything like me, trying to get work done in my room is almost impossible. Whether it’s the local Starbucks or a quiet space in the library, find the place with the least amount of distractions where you can stay focused.
- Get organized. Create a study plan and try your hardest to stick to it, especially during reading period. It’s unrealistic to say that you’re going to study all day everyday during that time so plan to study for 2-3 classes a day, using the rest of your time to manage your other obligations.
- Take notes by hand. Writing notes down compared to typing or recording them increases your chances in remembering the material. Color code your notes and come back to them when it’s time to study for your tests.
- Don’t procrastinate. Devote an hour every night to reviewing notes, reading the textbook or getting ahead on future assignments.
- Relax. Set aside time for some “me time” to prevent and control stress.
- Get enough sleep. I cannot stress this enough! On average, adults need at least 8 hours of sleep. However, college students tend to sleep two hours less than that. This can impair mental efficiency, which is the last thing needed during finals time.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Your professor’s office hours are there for a reason. Don’t be scared to pay them a visit to ask for help and get advice on how you need to perform to finish strong in their class. If you don’t feel comfortable asking your professor, it’s not too late to find a tutor.
- Stay motivated. Reward yourself with study breaks and some of your favorite snacks.
- Pull all nighters
- Get distracted
- Don’t give up! You’ve worked super hard to get to this point, so don’t stop now. Finish strong. Winter Break will be here before you know it
If you started off strong, then it shouldn’t be hard for you to finish strong. Continue doing what you’ve been doing. If your midterm grades aren’t where you want them to be, put in more time. Go to the library or one of the many quiet spots MC has to offer. Meet with your professor if your lost on an assignment. There’s no such thing as a dumb question!For those who are feeling overwhelmed, please see a counselor. Don’t take on the burden alone; MC and its faculty wants you to succeed.
Reference: https://www.hercampus.com/school/cau/10-tips-finish-semester-strong Taylor Farmon