Montgomery College Maryland logo
Top Social Media Banks Tile Image

What’s your relationship with social media?

For me, it’s complicated. Always has been.

I find myself deleting social media apps every now and then because I can get pretty occupied with it easily. Sometimes I spend more time on my phone than doing the important things. I don’t feel very productive when I’ve done nothing all day but double tap, look at how interesting other peoples’ lives are, or laugh at petty memes when I should be studying, doing homework, or being responsible. It’s good to relax and have a “me” time but once it starts to feel like I have more to lose than gain , I try to pull back and cut the source.

So that time came again. This week, I decided I wanted to stay off social media for a month. It’s not the first time I’m doing it. In the past year, I have done this at least twice. And I’m proud to say that it was a success. I feel like I have accomplished my goal of not being too immersed in the virtual world where anything can look good but not be of any benefit to me. I want growth in every aspect of my life: spiritually, mentally, emotionally. While Social media is a great way to stay connected with friends and the world, it can also be a tool that keeps me distracted. With my attention span, being distracted is a detriment to my progress. While most people may not think of it this way, I have to do what I think is best for me. I always reap the benefits of staying offline and I’m forever glad for them.

I hope you make time for yourself and you’re able wash off traces of comparison and distraction in ways that work for you. It doesn’t have to be social media. It could be anything! You do you, my friends!

Ray Ann

My name is Ray Ann. I was born and raised in the Philippines. I am currently doing General Studies at MC but my big dream is to become a Clinical Counselor  someday! I have loved writing all my life but it took me years to write the way I want. I love to cook and I like to go hiking when life becomes stressful. I play the piano but I only like it when I play at my church because we have a full band. I will never get tired of smelling and testing different brand perfumes at Sephora and shopping is one of my favorite cardio. As for my dream car, I will always want the topless ones (convertibles). 
Despite my sophisticated taste in just about everything, I am a passionate person. I am a giver, and it makes me happy when i'm helping others. Princess Diana is one of my role models. I believe that love and kindness break down walls and move even the hardest of hearts. I'm soft spoken but intuitive, little but fierce. My jokes are kinda cheesy and I feel like i'm always tired but I like to give life my all. I am constantly learning what it means to love my neighbor as myself. Although I've had my share of failures and disappointments during the time I've been here at Montgomery College, I am grateful that I've been given chances to right my wrongs and learn from my mistakes. One of my favorite speakers/authors , Steven Furtick said it this way, "You aren't failing; you are growing. And you aren't a failure; you are a person who is continually improving."

This Post Has One Comment

1. I commend you for being able to stay off social media for an entire month! I always wonder if at some time, we will reach a point of saturation and its use will decline. Much of it seems like the latest fad that we all feel compelled to latch onto. Although there will always be something new on the horizon, you are correct in recognizing much of it is a huge time sink that could be better used for studying or related to people in person. Frankly, I am tired of selfies and what people made for breakfast!!